Nothing is more mouthwatering than juicy chicken which has been slow smoked for hours. These delicious thighs add a spicy kick as well as the sweet kiss of fresh honey. They are a perfect addition to any event and will leave people begging for an invitation to your next backyard barbecue. This recipe uses boneless, skinless thighs for convenience but can be easily used with bone in thigh chicken as well.
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 gallon salt
- 3/4 cup salt
- 1 1/2 cup Southern Wildflower Honey
- 1 1/2 tbs black pepper
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1/2 cup your favorite spicy barbecue sauce
- 3 tbs apple juice
- Prepare brine by boiling the water, then mix salt and 1/2 cup honey in. Let cool. Soak the chicken thighs in the brine for at least two hours.
- Create a dry rub by combining the black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and chili powder and rubbing the chicken with the mixture.
- Place chicken thighs in your smoker at 225 F degrees and smoke over apple or cherry wood chips.
- While the chicken is smoking prepare your sauce by blending 1 cup honey, the spicy barbecue sauce, and the apple juice over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- After an hour and fifteen minutes transfer the chicken into a disposable aluminum pan and cover with the sauce, coating the chicken well.
- Continue smoking at 225 F degrees until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F degrees.
- finish the chicken briefly over a hot grill to crisp up the edges. Serve with the remainder of the sauce on the side.